Some civil society organisations maintain commended the Lagos utter authorities on the plot it’s miles handling the ravaging COVID-19 pandemic in a utter with an estimated population of 23million of us.
Gbenga Komolafe, Secretary Fundamental, Federation of Informal Workers of Nigeria (FIWON), Chief Raymond Gold,Coordinator, Housing and Group of workers Upgrade,Nigerian Slum / Informal Settlement Federation (Federation), Dr Taibat Lawawson, Centre for Housing and Sustainable Pattern, University of Lagos,.Dr. Temilade Sesan, Sankofa Policy Lab, Betty Abah, Centre for Kid’s Properly being Schooling,
Orientation and Security (CEE-HOPE Nigeria), Olamide Udoma – Ejorh, Lagos Urban Pattern Initiative, Deji Akinpelu, Rethink Cities Initiative, Folashade Adeboyejo, POLYBRIQ and Segun Ogunleye, Urbanovate Enterprise, signed the press assertion issued.
Based on the CSOs, COVID-19 checking out and advocacy be prolonged to low profits communities, with effective protocols on reporting and responding to suspected cases outlined, taking into account that these communities are densely populated
– That special interventions in main and secondary successfully being care providers and products are given precedence, to boot to surroundings apart suspected COVID-19 cases from local communities to lead effective of a spiraling an infection in the densely populated areas and for treating them safely.
We furthermore mediate about with anxiety that the sizzling palliative measures are no longer achieving their desired stay, in that distribution is minute, thus propelling bid and violence in many low-profits communities.
We attributable to this truth demand the LASG to maintain in mind the following propositions to remain inclusive and sustainable Covid19 palliative admire the vulnerable:
– That LASG enables folks, company and faith-based fully mostly organisations with confirmed engagement in local communities to lead with the distribution of cloth toughen to those communities
– That LASG ought to maintain in mind a time minute monetary toughen kit to duly registered little-scale alternate and market cooperatives, which is able to be disbursed through individual BVN accounts. Global Pattern Help can also be old to offset the prices of such payments
– That a combined potential of cash switch +in kind toughen be regarded as for the girls in need, namely for the unbanked.
– On account of the truth that Lagos relies on food distribution networks from various aspects of Nigeria and
previous, that the operative food distribution chains be saved start – with transporters and local outlets allowed to dash round responsibly – in the end of the lock down duration.
These food distributors and market girls are rendering notable providers and products. We namely indicate that the Neighborhoods Corps and local market associations toughen the enforcement of social distancing protocols for both traders and sellers in these markets.
Eventualities relish these demand mark keep a watch on measures that will guarantee mark steadiness
– That the Mile 12 traders’ affiliation normalises prices and retains them fixed.
A subsidy mechanism wherein authorities will pay the adaptation to traders if they’ve to promote below the worth mark can also be established for this duration.
– That rep admission to to free water and hand washing stations is ensured in all crowded communities
– That traditional clearing of fracture is ensured in communities no longer lined by PSPs and LAWMA’s bridge accomplishing
– That special preparations need to be made to offer non eternal lodging and feeding for the homeless in repeat to ensure the requirements for social distancing and isolation for this very vulnerable layer of the population.
We acknowledge and commend the efforts of the Lagos utter authorities to own and mitigate the unfold of COVID-19across the utter
We peep the efforts of the utter authorities to offer palliatives for the elderly and vulnerable, namely these whose livelihoods were disrupted by market closure and trek restrictions. We demonstrate that the metropolis dejected are essentially the most vulnerable on this duration of world successfully being pandemic and financial uncertainty.
Fixed displacements in the end of the final a protracted time maintain elevated overcrowding in many low -profits areas, making the complete palliative measures design more notable.
We salute the efforts of all individual and company entities supporting the efforts of LASG in these no longer easy times and we gratefully acknowledge the solidarity of world donors and trend organisations.