Railroad Museum of Long Island in Riverhead:
Though Riverhead is also idea to be the digital terminate of Long Island, it was once only the beginning of the initially intended intermodal rail-and-sea link’s traverse of the North Fork toward the eventual depraved-sound ferry connection.
Taking its earliest-settlement name of “Head of the River” or “River Head,” the sooner or later designated, single-observe “Riverhead,” the ninth of Suffolk County’s ten towns, was once created out of the west terminate of Southold on March 13, 1792.
Thus separate and self reliant, it was once injected with notify with the appearance of the railroad and the very build, built on July 29, 1844 and serving the South Ferry, Brooklyn, to Greenport line, was once constructed on existing-day Railroad Avenue. Despite its by technique of-purpose, it channeled its personal disembarking passenger to stage coaches, which brought them to Quogue and diverse south island destinations.
Eastbound trains served the metropolis on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, whereas westbound ones, reduction to Brooklyn, did so on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
Mercantile, milling, and manufacturing, its prevalent industrial undertakings, catered to a 1,600-solid population in 1875, the personnel boasting two grist mills, offices, 20 stores, three accommodations, and six churches.
Changing the distinctive advise depot, which was once transformed correct into a house for railroad workers, a wooden-framed one, designed by Charles Hallett and that includes scalloped trim and account for finials, was once built west of Griffing Avenue between 1869 and 1870. This was once subsequently modified with a third, this time incorporating brick in its construction, on June 2, 1910.
“In the early 1900s, the east was once a space of prosperous potato farms in summer season and deep snows in frosty weather,” wrote Ron Ziel and George H. Foster of their book, “Steel Rails to the Crack of break of day: The Long Island Railroad” (Ameron Dwelling, 1965, p. 158).
“From the time of its realization that the distinctive clarification for its existence had vanished with the constructing of the Original Haven Railroad to Boston (fifty years earlier), the LIRR has performed a fundamental position in developing the areas manner out east,” they continued (p. 158). “… Industry and civic organizations all the design by technique of the island joined with properly-known voters, newspapers, and the railroad to advertise lope and settlements on Long Island.”
That pattern, nonetheless, was once infrequently ever rapid and when rails had been later modified by roads, the Long Island Railroad’s re-invented, intermodal transportation purpose had vanished, leaving the majority of its passengers to commute to Long island all the design by technique of the mass morning exodus.
Indeed, by 1963, fundamental line provider east of Riverhead had been diminished to a single day-to-day passenger and thrice-weekly freight dawdle, the use of the track initially laid for the rail-to-sea link in the mid-19th century.
On the present time’s high-diploma concrete platform, which does no longer endure a single shoeprint on sure days and in sure seasons, was once constructed between 1996 and 1997, nevertheless for rail fanatics, some of its ancient past has been preserved at the Railroad Museum of Long Island across from it.
“The ancient past of Long Island is also traced in steel rails, which depraved its diverse panorama-from dark tunnels under Original York City to the farms and sand dunes of the East Halt,” in step with its web page. “The Railroad Museum of Long Island strives as an instance this ancient past by technique of interpretive shows from its archive of pictures and artifacts, and during the preservation and restoration of traditional railroad tools at its two areas in Riverhead and Greenport, Original York.”
The oldschool, consisting of a 70-foot parcel of land now owned by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, nevertheless leased to the museum, once sported a pump house, a water tower, and a turntable that was once no longer dimensionally properly matched with the greater, extra extremely fantastic locomotives acting all the design by technique of World War II. Cornerstone of the advanced this day is a constructing hailing from 1885 and oldschool by the Corwin and Vail Hasten Yard, but now serving because the museum’s visitor heart with a Lionel model railroad structure wearing Long Island Railroad coaches in diverse liveries, a cardboard and balsa wooden reproduction of the Riverhead depot, which commemorates its 100th anniversary, and a gift store.
Across from it’s a long way the Lionel Guests Center, that features a multiple-track structure with a Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey circus keep, a water tower that identifies the metropolis as “Lionelville,” and 72 push-button activated accessories from turning wind generators to lighted administration towers.
Open air are two diverse model railroads: the G-scale Freeman Railroad and the advanced-circumnavigating and rideable, 1964-1965 World’s Profitable-attempting advise.
Built by the Alan Herschel Firm, the 16-gauge advise itself was once an integral fragment of the heavenly’s Long Island Railroad Pavilion, after which it was once oldschool by Grumman Aerospace at its Calverton firm picnic, before being oldschool by the village of Patchogue and sooner or later being donated to the museum.
Since restored, its engine and three autos, wearing World’s Profitable-attempting livery and promoting, “Accelerate the Log Island. Shuttle easy, your steel thruway to Profitable-attempting Gateway,” dawdle on 670 feet of track, veritably departing every half of hour and making three circuits. Rides are included with admission.
The crossing shanty subsequent to it, which was once initially located in Innwood, Queens, and safe guards from the weather, facilitated the handbook reducing and raising of gates when trains handed to hinder pedestrian and vehicular lumber. Riverhead reverted to an computerized system in the early -1950s.
The Railroad Museum of Long Island’s steam and diesel locomotives and passenger and freight autos are diverse and historically most well-known. Though about a are displayed outdoors the gift store, most are located across Griffing Avenue, parallel to at this time energetic LIRR tracks and across from the present Riverhead Residing.
The avid gamers in the 1955 Halt of Steam Ceremony are on keep right here, though in varying stages of restoration.
Time, distance, and technology separated the steam locomotives from their passenger coaches greater than half of a century in the past, nevertheless the museum reunited some of them and they now stand only about a yards from every diverse, albeit in static, nevertheless restoring states.
As one in all the Pennsylvania Railroad’s Class G-5 “ten wheelers,” engine #39, as an instance, was once constructed in its Juniata stores in 1923, but its tough capabilities, expressed by its traits, ideally provisioned it for day-to-day, anxious commuter line provider: a 237,000-pound faulty weight, a 2,178-hp cylinder functionality, a 205-psi boiler stress, a 41,328-pound tractive effort, and speeds between 70 and 85 mph.
Essentially serving the Oyster Bay department, it was once the final steam engine to lope to Greenport, in June of 1955.
Releasing its railway vehicle to the arms of an RS-3 diesel locomotive, number 1556, all the design by technique of the Halt of Steam handoff in Hicksville, it relinquished an period. That engine, a 1,600-hp Class AGP-16msc, provisioned with multiple unit bound administration and built by the American Locomotive Firm, subsequently served the Long Island Railroad system for 22 years, whereafter it was once purchased by the Gettysburg and Maryland Midland Railroad, and was once sooner or later received by the museum.
Attention-grabbing, nevertheless no longer essentially linked to Long Island ancient past, is the recently received Brooklyn Eastern District Terminal Railroad (BEDT) locomotive, that features a 0-6-0 wheel configuration. Constructed by H. Ok. Porter in 1923 for the Astoria Energy and Light Firm, it handed to quite a bit of fingers, along side these of the Fleischman’s Yeast Firm in Peekskill, Original York; the Rail and Locomotive Firm in Alabama; and sooner or later, as of 1938, the Brooklyn East Terminal District Railway itself, which numbered it 16 and equipped vehicle drift (barge) provider from Brooklyn’s waterfront to quite a bit of Class 1 railways in Long island, the Bronx, and Original Jersey.
Because the final steam engine to operate every east of the Mississippi River and in Original York City, it was once no longer retired until October of 1963, or eight years after the Long Island Railroad discontinued its personal use of this technology.
Passenger autos are also properly represented by the museum.
Double-decker coach #200, as an instance, wearing its Tuscan crimson paint design, was once the first such aluminum, twin-diploma vehicle. A joint conducting between the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Aluminum Firm of The US (ALCOA), the 120-passenger experimental prototype, built in 1932, was once an strive and develop capability without rising excessively long trains, and, attributable to its non-frequent position, appeared without administration stands or traction motors. Designated Class T-62s in manufacturing get, they accommodated 132.
A later, extra ubiquitous passenger vehicle was once the P72, of which there are two on keep, wearing the Long Island Railroad’s earlier Nordic blue and platinum mist paint design. Numbered 2923 and 2924, they had been fragment of a 1954 converse for 25 locomotive-pulled, 120-passenger commuter autos manufactured by Pullman Traditional at its Osgood Bradley factory in Worcester, Massachusetts, first and well-known acting with battery lighting fixtures and steam heating, nevertheless subsequently retrofitted with under-vehicle diesel generator items that equipped vitality for these utilities. Offering yeoman provider for 44 years, they had been no longer retired until 1999.
The significance of the museum’s pair is that they every partook of the October 8, 1955 Halt of Steam ceremony in Hicksville: vehicle 2924 was once pulled by engine 39 and accommodated a Boy Scout troop from Brooklyn, whereas vehicle 2923 was once equally pulled by engine 35, nevertheless originated in the East Halt.
Uncoupled, the oldschool was once reattached to diesel engine 1556, departing for Jamaica, whereas the latter joined forces with 1555, leaving for Riverhead. Nearly arm-in-arm, the pair of now vehicle-devoid locomotives rode into the steam period’s sunset, checking into their Morris Park retirement house.
One other most well-known pair of autos is the museum’s two M1s displayed on the identical track.
With 85-foot lengths, 10.6-foot widths, and 122-passenger capacities, these light-weight, multiple-unit commuter autos, constructed of stainless-steel with rounded, fiberglass terminate caps, featured four 160-hp Frequent Electric 1255 A2 traction motors and computerized, quarter-point sliding leaf doors. They had a four-foot, 8.5-spin track gauge and equipped a most, 240-foot curve radius for coupled items, and served because the brink to the electrified period for the Long Island Railroad, as expressed by the general public relatives brochure entitled, “A Original Technology in Rail Shuttle: Meet the Metropolitan,” which promised that “a brand new period in commuter transportation is launched on the Long Island Railroad.”
“The swish, stainless-steel Metropolitan represents a brand new period in suburban rail provider,” it acknowledged. “It ushers in a completely new witness on the Long Island Rail Road, the nation’s largest commuter rail system.”
Explaining the inducement at the help of the make, it mentioned, “The (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) sure that ‘extra of the identical’ to assembly tools (desires and) expectations of the Long Island Rail Road (was once no longer an option).
“An prominent personnel of experts was once approached by MTA to determine the detailed vehicle specs, which resulted in the birth of the Metropolitan.
“This joint operation was once guided by MTA and its personal technical workers, working in shut cooperation with the experienced operational personnel at the Long Island Rail Road. This effort produced, in file time, the specs for a dramatically modified, newly engineered rail passenger vehicle that will likely well stand at the forefront of the nation’s commuter lines… “
A firm converse for 620 M1 Metropolitans and 150 alternatives, then the largest single North American one for electrical multiple unit autos, was once positioned with Budd, and deliveries took space between 1968 and 1973.
Necessitating a vitality develop from 650 to 750 volts DC, drawn by a contact shoe-third rail connection, the sort entered provider in an eight-vehicle configuration on December 30, 1968 from Brooklyn to Penn Residing, blurring the lines between the commuter railroad attribute engine-and-coach complement and the self reliant subway theory.
“The Metropolitan trains are arranged in two-vehicle items, fully geared up for independent operations… ,” the general public relatives brochure defined. “One vehicle in every unit comprises batteries and a motor alternator. The varied properties the air compressor. The Metropolitan is the first such multiple unit commuter advise in operation.”
The brochure also emphasized its advancement.
“The US’s quickest, most current commuter rail vehicle is full of innovation and stylish ingredients, designed to provide high ranges of provider and sumptuous to the LIRR rider.”
Regularly modified in the early-21st century by the succeeding M7 autos ordered from Bombardier of Canada, the first of which was once delivered in 2002, it partook of its personal “Farewell to the M1s” ceremony, hosted by the Crack of break of day Path Chapter of the Nationwide Railway Historical Society, four years later, on November 4.
No freight advise or railroad museum would be full without a caboose. The bay window one on keep at the Railroad Museum of Long Island, numbered C-68, served because the conductor’s space of enterprise, the security lookout point at the tip of the vehicle chain, and the crew residing situation when runs precluded return to house stations for the night.
Railroad Museum of Long Island in Greenport:
Twenty-three avenue miles to the east is Greenport, the Railroad Museum of Long Island’s diverse position and the tip of the line. Nevertheless when the Long Island Railroad was once conceived, it was once correct the beginning of it-by manner of purpose and point of intermodal connection, where the torch was once handed from advise to steamer for the depraved-sound lope. Technology sooner or later conquered the southern Connecticut rail path to Boston and destroyed the fledgling anguish’s raison d’être.
Nonetheless, though the museum’s diverse facility is heart-broken in rolling inventory, it’s a long way rich in ancient past.
Settled by Original Haven colonists in 1648, it capitalized on its East Halt, water-accessible position, evolving correct into a shipping and ship constructing heart, with little vessels transporting invent to Connecticut and bigger ones serving Original York and Original England. Whaling began in 1790.
On story of its harbor was once envisioned as a terminus and transfer point, it equally attracted track.
“Greenport was once the space that brought concerning the Long Island Railroad to be built,” in step with historian Frederick A. Kramer. “With a shapely harbor opening onto Gardiner’s Bay, packet ships for the mainland connection to Boston had been to position in alongside whalers and local fishing boats.”
Though Greenport opened its rail-port doors on July 29, 1844, the first legit outing-and first phase of the advertised “by technique of path to Boston”-did no longer occur until the following month, on August 10, with the advise departing Brooklyn at 08: 00 and arriving at 12: 00, at which point passengers transferred to the railroad-owned steamship, “Cleopatra, (fragment of its $400,000 investment in boats and dock facilities) for the 2-hour crossing to Stonington, Connecticut, and then completion of the lope, again by rail, to Boston on the Norwich and Worcester.
Though fire consumed the distinctive wooden depot and platform that had opened on July 27, 1844, a quarter of a century later a 2d, designed by Charles Hallett, rose on the north side of the double tracks in October of 1870, reworking Greenport correct into a railroad heart with a freight house, a turntable, a shipping dock, and a storage yard, which served because the departure point for Pullman autos destined for cities as a long way west as Pittsburgh.
Though the North Fork most regularly and the location surrounding it in dispute serene cultivated potatoes and cauliflower, this once-distant farmland was once diminished to hours in distance and re-dimensioned in purpose, attracting of us, who developed commerce and alternate.
Unsuccessfully competing with the Original Haven and Hartford Railroad and then making an strive to rely on inter-island website visitors after its long-established concept had been scuttled, it was once serene in a situation to transport its plant life to markets in the west and the railroad-owned rapid of steamers equipped get entry to to Block Island, Montauk on the South Fork, and Original London in Connecticut.
In converse to facilitate what remained of Long Island rail lope, but provide safety in opposition to the seaside situation’s attribute salty air, a third, Victorian-sort depot was once built in 1892, incorporating crimson brick construction and decorative ingredients, similar to a hip roof, reduction patterns, wrought iron crests, and finials. Along with the similtaneously opened freight house, which itself featured a truck bay, sliding doors, a surrounding wooden deck, and a four-step entrance from Fourth Road, it joined the a variety of facilities in what had developed into an intensive rail yard and included a four-stall engine house, a water tank, a coaling situation, and repairs structures.
East Halt advise provider, as expected, dwindled, with a day-to-day round-outing between Amagansett and Greenport made by a little, 4-4-0 steam locomotive pulling a combine (passenger and baggage) vehicle and a full coach. It left at 10: 00 and made intermediate stops in Eastport and Manorville. On story of it followed a semi-circular track routing, the loss-recording dawdle, carrying mail, dispute, and a handful of souls, was once alternatively called the “Streak” and the “Cape Town Put together.”
After a layover in Greenport, it retraced its steps, re-departing at 14: 00.
Nevertheless the introduction of the automobile and the damper of the Unlucky hastened its discontinuation in February of 1931.
“(On the present time) the 2 build structures, combined with the ancient turntable and the fraction shed, comprise the largest and most full representation of railroad-linked structures and structures to outlive in a single and dispute ancient situation of Long Island,” in step with the Railroad Museum of Long Island’s web page.
One of them, the distinctive freight house, properties the museum itself.
Of significance are two HO-gauge model railroad layouts, depicting Greenport all the design by technique of the 1950s and this day. The commonality between the 2 is the integral position its docks, harbor, and seaside position hold regularly performed in its ancient past.
One other famous side was once the parlor vehicle provider the Long Island Railroad operated between the 1940s and 1980s, offering a plush and standard mode of lope for Original Yorkers vacationing on the East Halt or correct making weekend getaways, and shows characteristic its at ease seating, cutlery, and china. That to Montauk, on the South Fork, was once dubbed the “Cannonball” and to Greenport itself the “Safe haven Island Hiss.”
An earlier-period railroad ambiance is created by artifacts and implements once idea to be “current,” similar to a handbook typewriter, a hand-cranked phone, a hose wagon, a water cooler, flagmen’s and conductor’s keep lamps, and depot designate windows.
Remnants of the Bliss Tower, which had been formerly located in the Blissville fraction of Queens, illustrate how facilities similar to those had been positioned at the aspects of track interlocking, enabling operators to form visual contact with drawing advance trains and as it’d be set off, by project of handbook capability, crossover switches, which in essence served because the locomotives” steering mechanisms.
Controlling website visitors from Long Island City along the Montauk department, as an instance, these towers constituted integral intersection infrastructures for a century until automation eradicated their need.
About a autos are on keep outdoors heading in the qualified route accessed by the freight depot’s surrounding wooden deck.
The oldschool Long Island Railroad W-83 wedge snowplow, as an instance, was once connected before one or extra locomotives and pushed at speeds as high as 35 mph, clearing the track of snow. Thanks to its teeth-admire paint design, the museum’s instance, which is the single such LIRR unit closing, was once nicknamed “jaws.”
The number 14 caboose at the help of it, built by the American Automotive and Foundry Firm in 1927, was once fragment of the railroad’s final converse for wooden ones and served the general route system, along side branches that no longer exist.
After its retirement in the 1960s, it handed to quite a bit of secondary fingers, along side these of the Branford Electric Railway, the Valley Railroad in Essex, Connecticut, and sooner or later the museum, returning to house Long Island soil on May well possibly 17, 1997.
Beyond the museum’s rolling inventory shows and across from the triple, serene-energetic Long Island Railroad track is Greenport’s 80-foot-long turntable, final oldschool by steam locomotive #39 on June 5, 1955 and one in all only three closing. It is the single pneumatically-operated one.
Envisioned as one day being repurposed for steam powered excursion trains between the museum’s Riverhead and Greenport areas, it would allow passengers to duvet the North Fork by rail and ply the distinctive track almost two centuries after it had been laid.
To the left of the turntable is the high-diploma concrete platform constructed between 1997 and 1998 and, at most, fields two weekday LIRR operations. To the left of it’s a long way the distinctive 1897 build constructing, which closed 70 years later, nevertheless now properties the East Halt Seaport Museum.
At final, the present harbor-stretching pier modified the one who once supported the tracks resulting in the Stonington-sure steamboats, the Long Island Railroad’s long-established purpose.