In 1868 Hans Martin Hanson and his brother-in-guidelines Knud Olson bought the 260 acres of land from Dr. David Maynard. The acquisition tag became once $ 450. Later Hanson and Olson divided the property with Hanson's fragment being the point.
Story has it that sometime right thru the 1870s farmer Hanson hung a brass kerosene lantern from a post. He did this in advise to place the harmful shoals of Alki Level for the mariners of Puget Sound who were rising in numbers.
In 1887 the Federal Lighthouse Board decided that Alki Level became once extremely hazardous to marine web site traffic and they also replaced Hanson's kerosene lantern with a “post lantern”. “Post lanterns” were outmoded at many places unless a lighthouse could moreover be built.
Since the lantern became once on his property, Hanson became once appointed mild keeper. His wage became once $ 15.00 a month. For this he filled the gasoline tank, cleaned the glass, trimmed the wicks and lit and extinguished the lamp day to day. He became once helped by his son, Edmund, his six daughters, and his niece Linda Olson.
Mr. Martin's formative years inherited his 320-acre farm when he died on July 26, 1900. In addition they inherited the sunshine keeper's job which tranquil paid only $ 15. a month. Edmund and his cousin Linda Olson along with Edmund's formative years kept the lamp burning for every other 10 years.
In 1910 the US Lighthouse Provider bought the 1.5 acre pie-formed allotment of land at Alki Level for $ 9,999. A 37-foot-astronomical octagonal concrete and masonry tower with an associated fog signal building became once built on the point. On the serve of the lighthouse became once assemble two natty homes for the lighthouse keepers and their families. In advise to provide protection to the buildings from heavy swell right thru storms and high tides the contractors introduced in about 7,000 yards of sand and gravel an d added to the point.
This required the carrier of two lighthouse keepers doing 12-hour shifts seven days every week for which they were each paid $ 800 a twelve months plus housing.
Over the years varied enhancements were made in the lighthouse system and adjustments in personnel were made unless in 1970, Albert G Anderson, the final civilian lighthouse keeper retired after spending 20 years at Alki Level.
All the sunshine protecting became once done manually at the point unless the 1980's. Soar Guardsmen stood guard on eight-hour watches, 24 hours a day, seven days every week. The keeper grew to become the airway beacon on one-half of hour sooner than sundown and grew to become it off one-half of hour after shatter of day. The Chief Lighthouse Keeper's home became once occupied by the Commander of the 13th Soar Guard District.
The Alki Level Lighthouse became once fully computerized in October 1984. The trendy VRB-25 marine rotating beacon operates 24 hours a day, flashing once every 5 seconds .. An emergency mild positioned on the delivery air of the tower is operated by 12 volt batteries. Two electric fog horns are activated when visibility drops under three miles.
The Soar Guard Museum, Pier 36, 1519 Alaskan Map S in Seattle is where that that it’s seemingly you’ll seemingly seemingly moreover gaze, on point to, the extinct post lantern that became once placed on Alki Level in 1887 by the Lighthouse Provider.
The Alki Level Lighthouse, 3201 Alki Avenue SW, is rarely any doubt one of eight lighthouses on or shut to Puget Sound delivery to guests.